E21 Behind the Scenes: Self Talk, Critical Thoughts, and Frontal Lobe Fun
Thank you for joining us to celebrate the virtues of self-rule and debate the state of our republic. Welcome to the Citizens Prerogative Podcast.
Discussion topics in this episode:
- Praise to The Old Farmer’s Almanac to the rescue with the latest on a push to end Daylight Savings Time (DST) across the nation. Currently, this is a grand experiment alive and well among the states, counting Arizona and Hawaii out.
- Sometimes we are our own worse enemy. Automatic negative thinking, a form of cognitive distortion, has a tendency to trip us up because we don’t make it a practice to notice it. Our older lizard brain has a bias towards risk avoidance which serves us well in the wilds, but not so much in the concrete jungle. Become more wise-minded by learning more about how your hardware works: “When Emotion Take Over” a very short overview by Healthline, a video on autonomous thinking and CBT, and a video on the wise mind.
- Observations from the Ant Colonies in our Phoenix hub in regard to the delicate dance of reproduction. We also touch on the sterility of humans and their friends. We’re polluting our life soup at a record pace with consequences. The Guardian interviewed the author of the latest on the subject: Shanna Swan: ‘Most couples may have to use assisted reproduction by 2045’
- We have to put on our own oxygen mask before helping others, and then we need to put on our critical thinking cap and be our own coach! Give yourself honest feedback that is actionable and then take action. Hold yourself to account for taking action and measuring the results. Take ownership of changing direction when needed based on your own assessment. Check your value system and also adjust accordingly.
- We need to open our hearts and minds to our neighbors. We stand with all human communities in the face of hate or other adversity. We are one human family, under the stars, on Earth with liberty and justice for all.
- Michael V. Piscitelli
- Raymond Wong Jr.
- Change your self-talk and self-limiting beliefs to align with your values. If you’re interested in more on CBT or other brain training-related resources, check out the tools that therapists use at Therapist Aid (Please note: The resources available on Therapist Aid do not replace therapy, and are intended to be used by qualified professionals).
- Reiterating RWJ’s call to action: reach out to your Asian (or otherwise) friends and make sure they know they count and challenge each other to do better by one another.
Special thanks to
- Our ongoing supporters, thank you!
- Our sponsor CitizenDoGood.com .
- Intro music sampled from “Okay Class” by Ozzy Jock under creative commons license through freemusicarchive.org.
- Other music provided royalty-free through Fesliyan Studios Inc.
“Heavy-minded” image by SergeShop.